Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A bit of a scare

We had a busy day and eventful evening a week ago today. Mariah turned 15 on August 16th and McKenna's 11th birthday was August 14th. We had a party with our family members for both Mariah and McKenna in the evening. We all had a good time.

I had contractions throughout most of the day that day. In the past, they've gone away on their own after resting and drinking lots of fluids. Last week's contractions seemed different to me than the ones I had been having off and on the past week or so, and this time they didn'tn go away with resting and increasing my fluid intake. But, I had so much to do to prepare for the girls' birthday party that I just did my best to ignore the contractions. I started spotting late in the evening (Wednesday the 16th) after the girls' birthday party, and was having contractions about every 5 minutes. I called my doctor (who happened to be on-call for his office last night, thankfully) and he wanted us to go right to the labor & delivery unit for evaluation (this was around 11pm Wednesday night). My doctor came in to evaluate things with the baby and myself at the hospital. The contractions continued to occur about every 5 minutes until around 5am when the meds finally kicked in. I was finally discharged and allowed to come home around 7am this morning. It took two doses of anti-contraction medication at the hospital (several hours apart) to get the contractions to finally slow down enough for us to be able to leave about 8hrs after we arrived.

I was on bedrest for 24 hours, then allowed to get up on Friday to do light activity. Well, come Friday evening, the contractions returned about every 4-5minutes apart...so back to the hospital we went. We had an ultrasound that showed all seems fine with the baby. I will have another u/s next week...but the gender will remain a mystery (by choice) to us until this little one arrives! I was there from Friday night (about 10pm) until Saturday afternoon. I'm now at home on modified bedrest....meaning, I can get up and do light activity as long as it doesn't cause contractions. Unfortunately, just about everything I do had been causing them to return. Today seems to be the best day yet in regards to the contractions. It seems the meds are working at keeping them under control. I plan to attempt a trip to Portland with Steve tomorrow for a doctor's appointment he has with his orthopedic specialist.

The girls and Steve have been great to help me with things around the house so I can relax and just let this baby grow. My cousin has brought us a couple of very yummy meals and my parents brought us a dinner that was so delicious this week, along with some belated birthday wishes since I spent my birthday in the hospital! My parents also gave me a quilt that was handmade by my grandmother who passed away three years ago. My dad said, "every time you snuggle underneath it, it's just like Grandma wrapping her arms around you"...I couldn't agree more! Thank you Dad, Mom, Lela & Don!

No comments: